2020 Iowa Beef Expo Simmental Weekend
2020 is the Iowa Simmental Association’s 50th Anniversary!
“Simmental weekend” at the 2020 Iowa Beef Expo
Simmental enthusiasts from across Iowa and the Midwest gathered in Des Moines for the Iowa Beef Expo and Iowa Simmental Association activities that were held February 7-10, 2020.
The weekend started out with the Iowa Simmental Queen Contest at Prairie Meadows. Darci Maas coordinated the event again and six young ladies vied for the title. They tested their knowledge of Simmental cattle and the beef industry during a quiz, had a personal interview, and enjoyed a luncheon with the judges and their mothers. Results are below in the Banquet section.
Sale cattle check-in was Saturday morning, followed by both the ISA and IJSA Annual meetings in the afternoon.
2020 ISA Annual Banquet:
ISA Annual Banquet was held Saturday evening at the Walnut Center on the Iowa State Fairgrounds. Social hour saw people enjoying catching up, checking out the IJSA auction items, and IJSA members soliciting for the Rung-Out Syndicate. ISA President Kenny Scott lead us in the invocation, and everyone enjoyed a delicious meal catered by The Rib Shack. Following a meal numerous awards were presented to ISA and IJSA members (results below). Prime Advertising for the ISA Breeder’s Directory was auctioned off and the IJSA held their annual fundraising auction. Thank you to our auctioneer Jon Schaben for your services during the night and Monday at the sale.
Awards and banquet activities:
- Recognition of the 2019 and 2020 ISA & IJSA Boards, Retiring ISA board member, and IJSA Advisors
- Christensen Elite Award: Marshall Ruble
- 2020 Iowa Simmental Queen Caylie Hickman of Mt Ayr and Princesses Emma Hay of Maxwell and Bailey McKenna of Sioux City
- Junior Supporter of the Year: Naomi Christiansen
- Keynote Speaker: Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig
- Iowa Simmental Memorial Scholarship Recipients: Tate Kettler, Julianna Wise, and Maddie Thompson each received at $1000 scholarship to help further their post-secondary education.
- 2019 AJSA Merit Award recipient recognition: Bronze- Sammi Long, Colin DeCap, and Carli Henderson each received a certificate and lapel pin; Silver- no Iowa recipients; Gold- Cody Long received a $3000 scholarship from the ASA Foundation.
- ISA Futurity Show Champion and Reserve exhibitors and sales were recognized
- IJSA members who attended a Regional or National Classic were recognized
- Prime Advertising: Raised $2,600 for the 2021 ISA Directory — Results: Inside front cover- purchased by Dwyer Cattle Services for $700; Back cover- purchased by Cason’s Pride & Joy for $500; Front inside facing page- purchased by Ford Cattle for $300; Inside back facing page- purchased by Reck Bros N Sons for $400; Center spread- purchased by Hawkeye Simmental Group for $300; and Back inside cover- purchased by Tom Robinson for $400.
- IJSA Fundraising Auction: Raised $7,280 to support the IJSA activities! Full results are here 2020 Banquet Auction Results. Thank you to all the donors and buyers!
2020 ISA & IJSA Board of Directors:
ISA Senior Board (left to right): Brandon Reck, Denny Cason, Nate Ruby, Sherrie Moore, Dustin Ford, Kenny Scott, Kellie Carolan and Mike Sweeney. (Missing Bryan Thill and Al VanEngen)
IJSA Board (left to right): Abby Peterson, Tyler Loudon, Kailee Marshek, Grace Greiman, Landon Siek, Julianna Wise, Colin DeCap, and Keegan Bailey. (Missing Maggie Maas and Michael Maas)
(See Membership and Juniors pages for contact information)
2020 Christensen Elite Award:
Naomi Christensen presenting award to Marshall Ruble
(See Senior Member Awards page for more information)
2020 Junior Supporter of the Year:
IJSA Board President Grace Greiman and Vice President Julianna Wise presenting a director chair to Naomi Christensen
2020 ISA Royalty:
(left to right) Princess Emma Hay, Queen Caylie Hickman, and Princess Bailey McKenna
(See Junior Member Awards & Scholarships page for how to get involved)
Retiring ISA Board Member:
Tom Robinson of Coggon and his two of his grandchildren
2020 Simmental Sale:
Sunday was the parade of sale cattle in the Pavilion. Breeders and potential buyers enjoyed evaluating the cattle.
Monday was sale day, everyone enjoyed a biscuits and gravy breakfast sponsored by the ISA. The “Mark of Genetic Excellence” Sale was managed by Dwyer cattle. Sale results below:
High-selling Bull (left) $10,500 – Lot 56 Longs Came to Play; Consigned by: Longs Simmental, Creston, Iowa; Sold to: Williams Bros. Simmentals, Milan, Missouri
High-selling Female (right) $26,000- Lot 74 Black Satin 3559G; Consigned By: Jeff Paulsen, Preston, Iowa; Sold to: Jerry Lee, Columbia, Missouri and Chris Schick, Decatur, Illinois
(See Iowa Beef Expo website for other breed results)
Auctioneer: Jon Schaben
Sale Manager: Dwyer Cattle Services
Number of States Cattle Sold Into: 9
Total Sale Gross: $315,725
Total Number of Lots Sold: 83
Total Number of Live Lots Sold: 82
Total Live Lot Average: $3,806
Total Number of Bulls Sold: 51
Total Bull Sale Gross: $189,300
Total Bull Average: $3,712
Total Females Sold: 31
Total Female Sale Gross: $122,800
Total Female Sale Average: $3,961
Total Number of Embryo Lots Sold: 1
Total Embryo Lot Sale Gross: $3,625
Total Embryo Lot Average: $3,625
More photos from the Banquet and IJSA meeting can be viewed on our Shutterfly Share Site iowasimmental.shutterfly.com. If you have other photos from the Expo or other ISA/IJSA activities, please add them to those albums or make a new album if you don’t see one for that event.